St Raphael Resort and Marina
Our mission is to be an eco-friendly, sustainable five-star hotel proving that large resorts can still have a minimum carbon footprint while offering ultimate luxury that our customers are accustomed to.
We believe in being honest with our customers, while being kind to the planet. We take responsibility in our actions, and we look to our customers and staff to help us constantly evolve to find new and innovative ways to make the difference.
We have a long way to go, but with many sustainable practices in place, such as reducing our electricity and water consumption, minimizing harmful chemicals used in detergents and toiletries, eliminating as far as humanly possible use of one time plastics, up-cycling and recycling anything from paper to furniture, creating educational actives for children, promoting local culture, supporting local agriculture and offering as many healthy food options as you can imagine, one step at a time, together with you, our valued customers and besties, we will get there … to a healthier, cleaner and kinder world that we all deserve.
How will we do this?
Our aim is to be as transparent as we can be with our team and customers. In our honesty, we will set realistic goals that while difficult, should be achievable. Here are just some ways we are striving to make a difference:
Our People-Sustainability Committee
- A committee will be formed for discussing sustainable practices and putting these in place. Team members from each department will participate and who will be the ambassadors of sustainability and their role is to provide support in monitoring the decisions and actions of management in achieving the Resort’s goal to be a sustainable organisation. Sustainability encompasses how St Raphael Resort & Marina conducts its businesses, now and in the future, including through the pursuit of workplace safety, a commitment to the community and social responsibility, minimising the Company’s impact on the environment, and maintaining our reputation as one of Cyprus leading luxury companies and spreading the eco friendly culture within their departments and among their colleagues.
- Eliminate harmful chemicals unnecessarily used, from detergents to cleaning materials to laundry.
- Endeavour to use eco-friendly and sustainable products.
- Removing harsh chemicals from our room cleaning routines.
- Source and use as much as local products as possible.
- Include a wide range of plant-based options
- Reduce food waste from buffets
- Collect animal product leftovers from guest plates and give these to feral cats on the island and dog sanctuaries.
Water Plastic Bottles
- Reduce single use plastics and in such we have introduced a surcharge on all plastic bottled water that an All-Inclusive guest may wish to have of a nominal amount, but as a reminder to please think twice before using plastic.
- Introduced our own glass bottled water this year, serving cold filtered water to all our guests without the use of any plastic water bottles.
- Recycling bins are available around the whole Resort, from the gardens to the room corridors
- ‘Marc the Shark’ will be placed by the beach to urge participation in environmentally friendly habits in favour of our delicate marine ecosystem, where plastic bottles will be collected in an effort to protect our planet and oceans and helping to save wildlife from the potentially serious injuries or death caused by our plastic waste.
Furniture and Marble
- Maintain and appreciate as much of our historic building as possible.
- Re-design furniture to suit new concepts and spaces and do our utmost not to waste the world’s resources
Energy and Water
- Photovoltaics will be installed at the hotel as a first stage of our mission to reduce our electricity consumption.
- Installed water saving devices in all room showers.
Laundry and Towel Service
- While every guest can have their bedsheets and towels changed daily, we hope that most will opt to have their sheets changed every second or even third day.
- Moving to tablecloth-free set ups in all restaurants.
- Introduce natural colour towels, so that bleaches and other harmful chemicals are not required in the laundry service.
- Introduce as well eco-friendly toilet paper which is a sand colour.
- In-room luxury toiletries all packed in eco-friendly, biodegradable bottles and are vegan.
- Support local products and nearly all our professional and retails lines are certified vegan and therefore cruelty free, natural and in many cases organic.
- The gym equipment in both our main gym and The Tower are state of the art eco-gyms and produce electricity while you work out, instead of using electricity to power the equipment.
The Green Key award is the leading standard for excellence in the field of environmental responsibility and sustainable operation within the tourism industry. This prestigious eco-label represents a commitment by businesses that their premises adhere to the strict criteria set by the Foundation for Environmental Education. A Green Key stands for the promise to its guests that by opting to stay with the Green Key establishment, they are helping to make a difference on an environmental level. The high environmental standards expected of these establishments are maintained through rigorous documentation and frequent audits. Green Key is eligible for hotels, hostels, small accommodations, campsites, holiday parks, conference centres, restaurants and attractions.
Go Green, skip the clean!
By declining the housekeeping services for the day, you support our efforts to reduce our carbon footprint, to save hundreds of tonnes of water and to reduce the use of chemical, detergents and electricity consumption.
For every day of declining the housekeeping services, we will plant a tree so to make our planet a greener place.
Help us achieve our goal for 2023. Every step counts towards a kinder world.